The long wait is over. The holidays are here but don’t let dental emergencies ruin your celebration and your oral health. Partying and overeating are just some of the best parts of this festive season, and during this time, maintaining good oral care can be tough.
Everyone is ready for sweet treats and other tempting meals. However, sugary foods can have a negative impact on your teeth especially if they stay longer in your mouth. Holidays come and go, but toothaches can happen suddenly and the pain may linger for a long time. Avoid dental emergencies during holidays by following a few tips from your Geelong dentist for healthy teeth this season of joy.
Oral Health Tips and Healthy Eating During Holidays
- Eat sweets with other foods. To help lessen the impact of sugary foods and drinks, consume them during lunch or dinner. If you can, try not to snack between meals.
- Limit or avoid eating sticky foods such as caramels and candy canes. These types of foods can easily be trapped in between your teeth. Choose items that dissolve quickly such as plain dark chocolate.
- Drink a lot of water during holidays. Water balances out all the foods you eat and washes away food particles and bacteria. In addition, when you have no time to brush, rinse your mouth with water so teeth can be easily cleaned when you brush or floss them later on.
- Always, keep a toothbrush and don’t go to sleep with your teeth uncleaned. Because of a busy schedule, you may forget about brushing your teeth until morning comes. Allowing food particles to sit on your teeth for several hours can lead to various dental concerns. Be sure to brush your teeth after you eat and before you go to sleep.
- Prepare alternatives to sweets. Make sure that the holidays are not just all about sugar-packed and carb-rich foods. Balance out your meal by providing your family with healthy alternatives such as fresh fruits like apples and crunchy vegetables like carrots, celery, and broccoli.
Best Oral Health Tip: Visit Your Dentist Before Holidays
Before the holidays, your Geelong dentist encourages you and your family to schedule an appointment for a dental examination to ensure there are no undetected oral problems that can be triggered during your holiday eating. This is also the best time of the year to maximise your dental insurance and your child’s Medicare benefits so you can take full advantage of them and your entire family can have healthy smiles throughout the year.
Visit All Smiles Dental for Your End-of-the-Year Dental Cleaning and Check-up
This holiday season, anywhere you may go, don’t forget to value the purpose of your teeth and gums by taking good of care of them. By keeping these tips in mind, you will be able to reduce your risk of an unwanted dental emergency and celebrate the holidays without interruptions. For more oral health tips and superior dental care, visit All Smiles Dental today. From your Geelong dentist, we wish you a healthy and cavity-free holiday!