It might be a little bit tricky, but caring for your baby’s teeth and gums will eventually pay off as they grow up with healthy and beaming smiles. The teeth of your baby might be small, yet they are fragile and require gentle protection. Unhealthy set of baby teeth may hinder your child to chew and speak clearly. That is why keeping them from cavities and decay is very crucial.
Baby Teeth Oral Heath Issues
Even at a very young age, babies are already vulnerable from different dental problems especially when their front teeth have come through.
Here are some of the challenges you and your child might face concerning their oral health including helpful ways to handle the situation properly.
Baby Bottle Tooth Decay
- Avoid the problem through wiping the gums of your baby using soft, moistened gauze or washcloth right after feeding.
- When a baby teeth start to appear, brush every day with a small head toothbrush without the use toothpaste.
- Instead of milk or juice, use a bottle of water when you send your child to bed.
Thumb Sucking (Non-nutritive Sucking)
- This typical baby habit includes not only the use of the thumb but of fingers and pacifiers, too.
- Most pediatric professionals agree that it is a natural and significant practice that provides developmental and nurturing purposes for the first few years of the baby.
- However, before the permanent teeth start to show up, thumb sucking must be stopped.
- Visit your dentist to get more substantial details about the sucking habits of your child.
White Spots on Teeth
- Once the first tooth develops, start cleaning the teeth of the baby every day and make an appointment with the dentist.
The Right Time to Brush Baby Teeth
At around 6 months, first set of teeth must be brushed without using toothpaste. To make it easier for you to brush your child’s teeth, let him or her sit or lay on your lap while supporting the head. Then, you can start cleaning the teeth in a slow and gentle way.
When your child is at 18 months old, teeth must be cleaned twice a day using toddler sized toothbrush with a pea-sized amount of baby toothpaste. With you and your dentist’s assistance regarding brushing and toothpaste use, your child will surely achieve a desirable oral health wellness.
Taking the First Step of Baby Teeth Care in Geelong
To get comprehensive and professional supervision about your child’s oral health, visit your trusted Geelong dentist today. Here at All Smiles Dental, we don’t only cater the oral care needs of children and adults, we are also expert in helping the parents guide their babies through remarkable oral health care. With our expertise and first-rate treatments, your child can attain better, healthier overall oral wellness.
Claim your Guaranteed Same Day Emergency Appointment online or call us on (03) 5229 5856. Contact us today for your FREE Consultation to see if Invisalign is suitable for you. Check out our website at www.invisalignvic.com.au.